Sunday, July 19, 2009

Bangalore to Gangtok

"I love Ramya"
I was shocked when Nikhil said it.
I asked him come again...
Sitting at the coffee shop, Nikhil took a deep sigh n said it again
"Yes .. I love her"
I took some time to digest it. Here was sitting one of the most decent guy in our college. I always looked up to him when it came to studies or managing college affairs. Nikhil was one year senior to me. But our relation more than senior- junior reln. We were best of friends in college. It all started on the first day of my college. The person who saved me from being ragged that day was Nikhil. And that was a start of a journey of 5 friends. A roller coaster journey of three yrs. And now only a month left in his course to finish. He reveals a secret that came totally surprise for me.
Ramya .. the most sweetest and most caring part of our group. Always saving us from all our mischievous things in the college. She was the most popular among the proff. She was the most ideal girl u want to take to ur mom. And the pair of Ramya and Nikhil was just perfect. But wait I never thought this way. Not only me ..no one would have thought about it.
I asked him " does anybody else know about it. Chetan or Neha?? "
Nikhil said " No man.. I cant tell them. I am too nervous but i cant keep it to myself anymore. You handle it for me. I don't know how to propose? I fear that I may loose her."
I dialed 2 people right away. Chetan was there in 5 min and Neha's make up made her just 20 min late in reaching there.
Neha asked "where's Ramya?? Whats the plan boys??"
I said " I didn't call Ramya."
Neha: y?
I somehow said " Nikhil is in love .... and it's none other then our Ramya!!!"
Chetan's jaw almost felled down. Neha took some time to get back to normal state. Both saw Nikhil.. who was blushing as well was scared.
Both of them suddenly shouted "Congrats Duck."
Chetan : "You **** didn't tell us at all. From when this is going on. Is she too??"
Nikhil said " from the first day man. But never got enough guts to tell you people or her "
Neha: "so she doesn't know this... so what next??"
Suddenly all the six sparklings marbles turned towards me.
"Not Meeee... " i resisted "i can't do this? "
I never had romantic or nearer to that word kind of reln with a girl till now. I had to many close friends who were girls but no girl friend. Now they think i can Handle this....
" you people have lost your mind "
Chetan said in a very thoughtful manner " See dude , you are the youngest among us. Your the person for whom she cares a lot and she is very close to you. You are the best person to convey this or do what eevr you do. we want to see them sitting on this coffee shop alone afer 6 in the evening today... Understood right??"
I finally agreed and looked at Nikhil. Oh man he was like Jerry in the Tom N jerry. Scared to death. I sat beside him n said

" look bro, I will do what ever it takes. Just dont worry.."

I was off.
I called Ramya at 4 to the same coffee shop. I was nervous as hell. She came exactly at 4. Punctuality another innate attribute of her. We ordered coffee and sat. "Now tell me hero.. y u called me alone here on a holiday. Something important. kyon koi mil gayi hai kya ??"

I some how took some guts and started.
" You know Nikhil.. he loves a girl."
Ramya: " What? you must be kidding. Nikhil and girl.. no way. The only girls he knows is I and Neha... you must be joking"
I said " No it's true and you are right he doesn't know any girl except you both. And Neha is not that girl"
Ramya : " You mean ... no .. don't say it .. no way... you mean it's me"
" come on stop playing your insensible pranks .. man"
I said " It's true. He loves you and that too from first day of college "
Ramya " Did he say it?? "
I just pointed to a chair in the corner " You ask him your self."
And I was out from the coffee shop. The coffee guy asked me money. I said wiat man .. it's on nikhil.. not only this there will be a big treat too very soon"
We were waiting outside for the result of this entrance exam.Chetan was guessing " They must be discussing the date of the marriage... no .. they must be thinking how to tell the parents? "
the discussion and guess work went over an hour when finally the pair came out.
Chetan jumped to nikhil and asked what happened.
Ramya spoke " See I love you all people but this can't happen between us. I hope you all understand me. I have told my reasons to Nikhil and he has agreed to it. Lets be as we were .. bunch 5 close friends"
I saw Nikhil trying to hide his emotions. 4 yrs he didn't see any other girl and now he was rejected by the only girl he loved. I knew it hurt him a lot but he didn't show a sign of it.
Everybody went back to their home. Nikhil asked me to come over to his place.

A week went with starnge atmosphere running around us. we didnt see both nikhil and ramya together. Both were avoiding each other. We were seeing our group was breaking apart.
One day Ramya came and told everybody that she is going to Gangtok. Her father was transferred to Gangtok. Nikhil quitely exited from the scene. He was loosing his first love ....now forever.

That evening I went to Ramya's house. Greeted uncle and went to her room. She was not in a good shape that's for sure. I asked what is this?
She said "I can't be the same friend with nikhil anymore. It's becoming difficult day by day "
I said " Can I know the reason you rejected him?"
She was ready with every girl's scrap answer " Look we are just friends. I have never seen him in that way. How can I say yes"
I asked "whom you will marry then??"
She was bit surprised with my question..
She said "What kind of question is that?"
I asked her again " whom you will marry? "
She said" ok... I will marry someone whom my parents choose for me "
I retorted "without ur consent?"
She fired back " I mean someone whom my parents choose for me with my full consent.. understood"
I asked her " have you seen that guy?"
Ramya: " No"
I again pressed " Have you seen that unknown guy as ur husband? "
Ramya: " what kind of question is this?...what you want to prove .. "

I said "You rejected nikhil only on this basis. right? ... look at nikhil what more you want in a guy.. smart,decent and even has got a masters call from IISC. A bright future with him. More over he knows you so well. You could have made a great pair. Well who am I to decide? ... leave it"

Ramya : "Hey why are we fighting over it man. My decision not gonna change. Hardly two weeks are there. Then we will part away. Everything will be ok"

Next day at the coffe shop Nikhil announced " I am going to shift 3rd next month to bangalore for my higher studies"

I knew the reason why he was leaving a month early for his studies.
Suddenly Ramya said" the same day I am leaving to gangtok. My train is at 2:30 "
Nikhil said mine is at 2.

Neha commented " You both are parting away at the same time one to the north and other to the south "....
That comment made everybody silent ... I thought it was begining of the end.

3rd of May 2006.. 1 o clock in the afternoon..... just an hr before Ramya's Train.
I got a the call .. It was Ramya on the other side.
I said " Hi... done with the packing??"
She didn't answer my question but she only said " I love him , You were right man.. I love him and i don't wanna loose him"
I was shocked again " What .. it's just an hour now "
Ramya" I don't know .. how you gonna make it .. but you have to ... his cell is switched off"

Only way to reach him was to get him at the railway station. I took my bike and went straight to Ramya's house to pick her. It was just 15 min for the train to leave. I was riding like hell. We reached station at 2:05pm.. just 5 min late. I was thinking of MLTR's 25 min too late song. But we were just 5 min but too late.
The train had gone and with it...... Ramya's love.
Ramya was in tears. She was crying like a small girl who didn't get her barbie doll that she asked for.
"Hey so you are going?"
A voice from behind us said. Ramya turned to look who was it?
I too turned. Hoping that it was nikhil but it was our chetan. He had come to leave Nikhil. She again went back to her crying ritual.
Suddenly another voice said " Tussi Jaa rahe ho... Tussi na Jao "
it was our nikhil in unforgettable kuch Kuch Hota hai style.
Ramya jumped at him and hugged him.
She was now crying becoz she was happpy to see her love. She couldnt believe her eyes filled with tears.Girls cry for everything.. it's true again
Chetan told me " He tried a lot to go away man. but Nikhil said me that he will see off her last time and go tomorrow. But I
don't think neither of them will go to bangalore or gangtok "
I said " but two of us have to go.. leave the birds alone"

9 comments:

  1. nice story... i love college life stories :)

    "every girl's scrap answer" he he good term used

    ReplyDelete
  2. "innate attribute"..good one le abhya..but who is that gal who is punctual..

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Quacky ...
    Thanks man

    @ Sudhir..
    Hi ... Finally I arrived

    @ Surie
    Stop ur pjs here atleast...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you cross this story in ur life time?
    Gud one!!
    but I really hope its written by you, i cant imagine you minus of pj's.. n being so serious of love story [:P]

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice love story le... keep writing....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Akshu
    ppl change with time.. but nt me .. expect a lot of pjs next time around...


    @paddya
    Thanks le....i ll keep writing,,, next one is from our circle only

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angadi ninge bright future ide.......

    Kannada film story writer aagabahudu.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ chaitanya : Thumba Dhanyawadgalu sahithi gale

    ReplyDelete